How do you find the best waterline tile that will compliment your swimming pool?
Your pool has different parts – the floor tiles, wall tiles, ledge, stairs, etc. Every part is important and you need to make sure that you know your options before you make a choice. You want to ensure that every part will look good as a whole. It will improve the functionality of the pool and will also help make your home look great. You should never underestimate how a pool can increase the value of your house.
Why is a waterline tile important
So why should you give much thought to this part of the pool?
The waterline tile is the tiled part of the pool that appears above the water. It is where the sun will reflect its light, causing the water to look luminous and shiny. The main function of this is to make your pool aesthetically appealing. It is one of the first things that will be seen in your pool. But that is not the only reason why you should choose carefully.
This tile also helps keep the pool in good condition. Without it, the mineral deposits and calcium buildup can be seen around the pool’s perimeter. It can be hard to remove. It also shields the water of the pool from pollen and other substances that can enter. All of these can create an unattractive white line around the pool and that can be hard to remove.
What are the different types of waterline tiles?
Now that you know why you need a waterline tile, you need to get to know the different types that you can choose from.
Here are the four different tiles that you can consider.
- Glass Tile. This is actually the most popular choice. Since this is the part that will reflect the Sun’s rays on the pool water, glass is obviously the best material to use. It can capture the sunlight beautifully. However, the installation of this tile can be tedious. That makes it one of the most expensive options. But if you choose the right glass pattern, it will all be worth it.
- Stone tile. If you are going for a rustic or more natural look, a stone waterline tile is a perfect option for you. The options include slate, bluestone, granite, flagstone, sandstone, and travertine. You just have to be careful when choosing the type of tile. If you are using salt water, you cannot use soft stones that are porous. When done correctly, this can look really regal.
- Porcelain tile. This is also a common choice. It is quite dense – so it is strong enough to be exposed to the water and all the chemicals in it. This is the most long-lasting option. Not only that, it is easy to install and easier to clean. It is not as beautiful as glass but if you are in a budget, this can be a good alternative.
- Mosaic tile. This is a combination of different designs, colors, and types of tile. This is mostly a combination of stone and glass. It can be custom made or you can choose among pre-made designs. You can choose the right colors to have it reflect on the water of the pool beautifully.
How to choose the right waterline tile
To choose the right waterline tile, here are the different steps that you need to follow.
- Start with a budget. First of all, you need to decide how much you want to spend on this tile. If you have a bigger budget, you can opt to use glass. If not, then you can choose the porcelain tile. You may want the best option but it might not be worth going into debt for.
- Find a designer or search for the perfect design. Hiring a designer to help you choose is also another option that you can use. However, this might be more costly. You can opt to just research the best look that you want online. Then you can match it with your options.
- Think about coping. Finally, you have to consider how your choice will be coordinated with coping. This is the part that provides the swimmers with something to hold on to while they enter or exit the swimming pool.
These are the simple steps that you need to follow when you are trying to decide what waterline tile to use on your swimming pool. Compare it with the other parts and check if everything goes well together.